On Saturday, March 25, 2017, Jefferson College of Health Sciences at Carilion Clinic offered “Senses and ScienceAbility: A Day of Immersion in Arts and Sciences Explorations” on the college’s campus at Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital in the heart of downtown Roanoke, Virginia.
This FREE event, hosted by the Arts & Sciences Department of Jefferson College and Carilion Clinic’s Children’s Hospital, gave children of all ages and adults the chance to experience the world of science through interactive experiments, activities and presentations. Participants had an opportunity to get hands-on during the event to learn more about the world around them.
This event was free and open to the public, and welcomed over 400 parents, children and caregivers from across the region.
Those attending participated in these events during the day:
Workshops and Interactive Presentations
- Cells: The Good, The Bad, The Cancerous
- The Chemistry of Cooking
- The Invisible World Around Us
- Compassionate Design Workshop: Keeping Babies Warm
- Children’s Storytimes
- Literacy: Early Literacy Strategies and Explorative Learning
- Magnetic Painting
- Lab Skills Workshop
- How Do Antacids Work?
- Let’s Get Charged!
- How Do Diapers Work?
- Heart Rate and Activity
- Muscle Strength
- Kids’ Yoga
- Obstacle Course
- Making Molecules
- Skeletons Display
- Tactile Explorations
- The OR Experience
- Catchin’ the Waves: Sound, Light, Resonance
- It’s ALIVE: Exploring the Diversity of Life
- Story-sharing through visual art expression
- What Does Your Nose Know?
- Environmental Impact!
- Exploring Emergency Services
- Breathing: Respiratory Therapy
- Anatomage Table: Virtual Exploration of the Human Body