Frequently Asked Questions

The information below is provided to you in a question and answer format in an effort to help you make a more informed decision about financing your education at the Jefferson College of Health Sciences.

The following information covers these topics:

  • Completing the FAFSA
  • General Questions
  • Federal Student Loan Questions

Feel free to direct any further questions to your Admissions Representative or the Office of Financial Aid.

Completing the FAFSA

Q. How do I complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid  (FAFSA)?

A. To complete the application on-line is a 3-step process:

  1. Create an FSA ID (username and password) at You will need your FSA ID to login to complete your FAFSA and to sign your FAFSA.
  2. Complete the electronic FAFSA at and review your answers carefully.
  3. When you receive the results of your application, the Student Aid Report (SAR), review it for accuracy. Provide any needed information requested by the school as quickly as possible.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is your doorway to all forms of Federal Aid. The income, assets, and household information you report on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used in a formula developed by the U.S. Congress to determine your eligibility for Federal Student Aid.  Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the amount of resources you should have to contribute toward your education, based on the information from your FAFSA application. 

General Questions

Q. What Federal financial aid programs are available to me at Jefferson College of Health Sciences?

A. Jefferson College of Health Sciences currently participates in the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work- Study (FWS) and William D. Ford Direct Loan program. Detailed information about each of these programs can be found on the U. S. Department of Education's website.

Q. What state and local aid programs, school aid programs and other private aid programs are available?

A. The main state aid program available to students at Jefferson College is the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant Program (TAGP). Recipients of state aid must be residents of Virginia. The TAG application deadline is July 31 of each year. Prior VTAG recipients at Jefferson College do not need to reapply each year. A student must be enrolled full time (12 credits) in a degree program to receive TAG. A student is allowed 12 units for an associate's degree, 24 units for a bachelor's degree, and no more than 3 years for a post-graduate program. Each full or partial payment is considered 3 units. Jefferson College of Health Sciences receives information for private scholarship programs available to students meeting specific eligibility criteria. This information is posted on the Office of Financial Aid's website. Qualified applicants have also received assistance through certain agencies such as the Department of Rehabilitative Services, the Virginia Employment Commission and the Workforce Investment Act - 5th District. Your eligibility for such assistance must be determined by the sponsoring agency. Additional information can be obtained through the Office of Financial Aid.

Q. How do I apply for assistance and what standards does Jefferson College use to determine my eligibility?

A. To apply for financial assistance you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. (FASFA). The FASFA data can be submitted via the Internet, paper mail, or by phone at 1-800-433-3243. The central processor calculates the student's eligibility and issues the student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. This number is used in accordance with federal regulations to determine your aid package. All students, who are enrolled in an approved program of study at Jefferson College who apply for aid, and are not otherwise ineligible, will receive a financial aid award.

Q. How does the school distribute aid among students?

A. All eligible students receive Pell Grant and federal loan aid in the amounts dictated by program regulations. Campus-based aid, namely FSEOG and FWS aid, is awarded by Financial Aid Representatives in accordance with the school's awarding philosophies. The philosophies are detailed in the student handbook and college catalog. FWS is awarded based on eligibility, student interest, and availability of work. VTAG is awarded by initial application or domicile review.

Q. What are the rights and responsibilities of students who receive financial assistance?

A. As a recipient of Title IV federal financial aid, you have certain rights and responsibilities. Your rights include the right to certain information about the type, amount and terms of your aid award. Your responsibilities include keeping your lender informed of changes in your name or address, repayment of any student loan amount, etc. More information can be found on the U. S. Department of Education's website.

Q. How and when will financial aid be disbursed?

A. After the census date of each semester, any aid awarded is credited to the student's account. The frequency and amount of each disbursement is specified in your award letter. Once the student's account is credited, any credit balance that exists on a student's account will be delivered to the student by check once all institutional charges are paid.

Q. What are the terms and conditions of any employment that might be a part of my financial aid package?

A. The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides funds to employ students with a demonstrated financial need. Students are paid an hourly rate at least equal to the federal minimum wage. Applications for Work-Study should be completed via the Jefferson College website. To be eligible for Work-Study a student must have a complete financial aid file, be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen, and be registered to attend classes. A student must also complete the employment screening process before beginning to work

Q. What will be the terms of, and schedules for, repayment of my student loan(s)?

A. General information on federal loan terms and typical payment schedules can be found on the Department of Education's website.

Q. Are there any fees associated with student loans?

A. The fees associated with federal student loans can be found on the Department of Education's website.

Q. What are the interest rates for the different loan programs?

A. The interest rates are fixed for the life of the loan, but vary from year to year. You can find the current year's interest rate at the Department of Education's website.

Q. Can I consolidate my loans?

A. Yes. The Direct Loan program allows borrowers to consolidate all of their Federal student loans in one loan. There is no minimum or maximum amount required for consolidation and consolidated loans do not increase a student's aggregate loan limit. The interest rate on consolidated loans is variable and there are no loan fees.

Q. What criteria are used for determining whether a student is maintaining satisfactory academic progress, how does such criteria affect my aid and how can a student who has failed to maintain progress re-establish eligibility for federal financial aid?

A. Jefferson College of Health Sciences has a Satisfactory Progress Policy that spells out what is required of a student in order to continue to receive Title IV Federal aid. The policy is published in the college catalog and on the Jefferson College website. A student must maintain satisfactory progress in order to continue to receive financial aid. A student who fails to maintain satisfactory progress will lose eligibility for federal aid. In order to re-establish eligibility, he/she must either win an appeal or re-establish satisfactory progress academically. Further details can be found in the college catalog. In summary, students must maintain satisfactory progress toward completing their educational programs. This means they must not only get good grades, but also complete their programs within specified time limits. Questions regarding the specifics of the policy should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid.

Q. What are the names of association, agencies or governmental bodies that accredit, approve or license the College and its programs? What are the procedures for students to review the schools? accreditation, licensure or approval?

A. A complete list of associations, agencies and governmental bodies that accredit, approve or license the College and its programs is published in the college catalog, the college handbook and the administrative office.

Q. What is the College's policy on refunds, should I have to withdraw from school? How are those refunds distributed between the student financial aid programs?

A. If you should have to withdraw from school the refund is returned to the Title IV financial aid programs based on the period of attendance. Any refund amount allocated to Title IV aid will be returned in the order specified by current Title IV regulations. Money is refunded to the student only when all funds have been repaid to the Title IV programs, as well as to any other aid source.

Q. How does the college's standard of conduct apply to financial aid?

A. Students are reminded that the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988 provides for the permanent loss of Title IV aid eligibility due to a conviction of engaging "in the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of a controlled substance". In addition, the act, as amended in 1998, may prohibit any applicant or student from receiving federal financial aid who has been convicted of a drug-related felony.

Federal Student Loan Questions

Q. With the Direct Loan program who will I make repayment to?

A. Payments are made to the U.S. Department of Education. Students do not have to start repayment until six months after they graduate or fall below half-time status. However, you can make payments at any time towards your loan. The U.S. Department of Education pays interest on subsidized loans while the borrower is in school. The borrower is responsible for the interest that accrues on unsubsidized Direct Loans.

You must begin repayment on a loan 6 months after you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time status.  On an unsubsidized loan you don't have to pay any principal while in deferment, but you will be charged interest. You can pay the interest or it will be capitalized (i.e., added to the principal loan balance) later.

Q. What steps do I need to take in order to get a Direct Loan?

  • All students must complete the FAFSA (this must also be completed for Parent PLUS Direct Loans),  Additional information may be requested, depending on the results of your FAFSA.
  • All students must meet the general eligibility requirements:
    • Be enrolled at least Half-Time to receive Financial Aid.
    • Be enrolled in a Degree Program.
    • Be a Citizen or Non-Eligible Citizen.
    • May not exceed the Aggregate Loan Limit
    • Not in default or in an Overpayment Status for any Federal Aid Program
    • Meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards
  • Instructions regarding and how to complete of Entrance Loan Counseling and the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note will be mailed. 

Q. I have prior loans from a bank, what options do I have in repayment now that I will have FFELP Loans and Direct Loans?

A.Federal Student Direct loans can be consolidated along with outstanding student loan debt from FEELP (i.e., Stafford Loans). However, if you do not want to consolidate your FFELP and Direct Loans, you will have to make separate payments to the different loan servicers.