In today’s marketplace, an education leading to a career in healthcare is one of the most exciting, promising and sound decisions you can make. With your degree from Jefferson College of Health Sciences, you will become a valuable member of a strong, growing sector of the nation’s workforce that provides essential care to our families, friends and neighbors. For many, you will be the key to good health for years—and maybe even decades—to come!
On this page, you will find resources to help you in your first steps toward a healthcare career or toward a graduate degree that can build upon what you have already accomplished.
JCHS Resources for Job Seeking and Graduate Study
The JCHS Learning & Writing Center and Jefferson Academic Support Services
The JCHS Learning & Writing Center (LWC), a resource provided through Jefferson Academic Support Services (JASS), offers a number of services to assist students applying for jobs and graduate study. Examples of services include:
- Resumes & Cover Letters – A strong resume and cover letter are the keys to a good first impression and the LWC works with students on resumes and cover letters at any step of the process. The LWC has an assortment of templates to help students get started, and LWC staff can also review an existing resume or cover letter and/or guide students in tailoring these materials for specific positions. These services are available both in person and online.
- Interviews – The JASS staff can help students prepare for interviews with one-on-one guidance about the process. In addition to helping students think about how they present themselves and their experiences, JASS staff can introduce students to common questions and help them test out their answers in a low-stress environment. The most important element of any interview is being prepared enough to feel comfortable and confident, and even a short appointment can help a student to shine.
- Graduate School – Students applying for further study are always welcome to come to the LWC for help. Whether a student needs assistance with developing a curriculum vitae (CV) or drafting a personal statement, the LWC has suggestions to help students strengthen their applications. Like resume and cover letter assistance, support with the graduate school application process is available in person and online.
- Career Guidance – Program advisors at JCHS have a wealth of experience within their professional areas to guide students through the process of finding fulfilling employment. PASS counselors can connect students with resources to help them match their personality and interests to specific professions.
Additionally, the JASS team works as part of the Learning Commons to offer a workshop series each semester, which includes additional advice on professional communication, resumes, cover letters, and interviewing.
JCHS Alumni Networking
Watch for more resources soon to connect you with alumni from JCHS who can help you find employment. Employment opportunities are posted by the JCHS Office of Alumni Relations on the Alumni Association's Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/JCHS-Alumni-Association/68641245790?ref=hl
Online Resources for Job Seeking
Dressing for Your Interview
- Professional Dress for Males: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS2ik_UOzhE
- Professional Dress for both Males and Females:
General Resources to Help You Prepare for Your Interview
- Keirsey Personality Test: http://www.keirsey.com/
- Strong Interest Inventory: https://www.cpp.com/products/strong/index.aspx
- Learning About Careers: http://www.careerinfonet.org/select_occupation.asp?next=occ_rep
- Salary Information by State:
- Forbes' Salary Information:
Top Healthcare Employers in Southwest Virginia & the Region
Apria (Roanoke, VA)
(540) 772-0411 firstname.lastname@example.org
UVA Health System (Charlottesville, VA)
HR Service Center (434) 243-3344
Med Express Urgent Care (Roanoke, VA)
Richfield Retirement Community
Contact: April Bond Human Resources Recruiter (540) 444-4246
Professional Therapies (Roanoke, VA)
Danville Regional Medical Center
Friendship Health & Rehab Center
Judy Anthony (540) 265-2145
Medical Facilities of America
Diane Rodil or Heather Carter
Piedmont Regional Feeding & Oral Motor Clinic
Hillary Anderson or Shana Turner
Rehab Management, Inc.
Saber Healthcare Group
Trinity Mission Health & Rehab
Suzanne Shepherd or Cathy Jones
Roanoke, Commonwealth of Virginia & Federal Employment Resources
- Virginia Job Network
- Virginia Employment Commission
- USA Jobs: The Federal Government's Official Job Site
Graduate Programs at JCHS
Are you completing an undergraduate degree at JCHS or another institution? Could the next step on the path to your healthcare career be a graduate degree? JCHS offers offers master's level degrees in Health Administration, Nursing, Occupational Therapy and Physician Assistant. Click on the links below to learn more about each program.
- Master of Health Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy
- Master of Science in Physician Assistant
Planning Resources for Your Graduate Education
Below are links to resources that can help you plan your graduate level education.
- Kaplan Test Prep: http://www.kaptest.com/
- Princeton Review (Test Prep): http://www.princetonreview.com/
Graduate School Admissions Exams
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination): https://www.ets.org/gre/
- LSAT (Law School): http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/about-the-lsat.asp
- MCAT (Medical School): https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/
- PCAT (Pharmacy School): http://www.pcatweb.info/
- DAT (Dental School): http://www.ada.org/dat.aspx
- GMAT (Business School/MBA): http://www.mba.com/the-gmat.aspx
- Peterson's Graduate & Professional Schools
- Princeton Review
- Princeton Review's Graduate School: Opinions and Advice
- U.S. News & World Report Graduate and Professional School Rankings
Resources for Internships
- InternMatch: http://www.internmatch.com/